Hello my lovelies, I'm so sorry for the break in posts, I've been feeling unwell for the last week or so. I had planned in 3 posts over the last 2 weeks but non of them materialised. Believe it or not I've felt really run down, I think a lot of it is psychological but it has brought out my famous cold-sores. Great!! Urrrgghhh!!
Anyway onto something more fun than that...I've managed to complete another of my Make 9 items, well I actually made this a couple of weeks ago and have since made another. But here is my journey.
I've seen quite a few people on Instagram making the Sew over it, Silk cami, so I thought I'd give it a go too. I love the retro images on the pattern packet. Its the type of top I love to throw on with a pair of trousers or jeans and pair with a cardi.
I had bought this beautiful panel of Italian designed, silk backed crepe a while before I bought the pattern. So I was living in hope that I would be able to squeeze a top out of it. I managed to cut the main front and back pieces out of it but had to cut the facings out of some plain white crepe. But to be honest that was better, otherwise you would have seen the pattern of the fabric on the facings through the outer garment which I didn't like.
The pattern is really simple, a front piece, a back piece, front facing and back facing. I always like to use a high lighter to mark out the size I want to cut out and because this was my first attempt I decided to trace off the pattern rather than cut it. I made the 12 based on the finished garment sizes due to my bust lol, I didn't want the 10 to be crushing them.
It was a little nerve wracking cutting out the beautiful fabric, it was a little slippery so I decided it would help if I pinned it to the carpet first, that worked a treat.
I cut it so that the blue panel on the fabric was at the bottom of the top, obviously lining up the grain line correctly too. It didn't take too long to sew together, the pattern calls for french seams at the sides. I haven't sewn a french seam since I was at college and had honestly forgotten how beautiful they are once finished. I had a little trouble with the hem stretching out slightly but this was corrected with a little bit of steam pressing.
And here it is all finished, I must show you a photo of it on it looks gorgeous with jeans and a dress jacket. I actually wore it out on Friday night when we went out for dinner with my Dad.
It wouldn't finished off properly if it didn't have one of my labels sewn inside now would it.
I can happily tick that one off my list now, already planning my next make :D
thanks for reading....